Monday, December 22, 2014

Feliz Navidad

Merry Christmas! I hope you all are enjoying each other and the season. I think of you all the time, and more especially during this month! I miss my family, but at the same time I wouldnt rather be anywhere in the world than in Peru as a representative of Christ. Christmas has taken on such a deeper meaning. And I already cant wait to share what I have learned when the next one comes around. :)

 There is always something to learn every week, and every moment of every hour. 

To start, off, we had our Christmas dinner with President 5 days earlier than planned! That was a nice surprise, and it was fun to reconnect with other missionary-friends. The day after, my companion recieved a call that she needed to travel to Cusco in order to see the mission´s medic, so we both went together. Our proselyting work was cut super short because of all of the travelling, but it gave me the opportunity to ponder about what it means to be a nurturer like Christ. I read a talk given by Pres Eyring from a 2012 conference called ´´The Caregiver´´ during some waiting and lots of travelling, and have been podering what it truly means to take care of others.

I have thought of examples in my life, and observed the actions of others. I had a companion who didnt think of anything else but serving others. She always was thinking of the next person to help, and made plans to continue doing so even when her mission ended. This companion was proactive about serving, and her taking care of others didnt end even after her release as a missionary. 

While Hna Jesperson and I were travelling home to Quillabamba, I couldnt help but notice how a Peruvian mom kept calling her daughter to remind her to dress warmly and to be safe while she was away. Distance doesnt stop someone from caring about another´s physical and spiritually wellbeing.

My own companion, who has wounds that I cant completely see or understand, still serves me even when she herself needs to be served. 

And then I think of Christ. His life was full of service! He served way more than the records we have tell us. I am always blown away by the way he told one of his disciples to take care of his mother even while he was still suffering on the cross. A caregiver serves from the charity of his or her heart.

Even as a missionary, with all of my flaws, I am still learning and being humbled  by the amazing caregivers around me. They are other missionaries, the native people of Peru, and Christ himself. I am learning that the best nurturers serve selflessly, proactively, and constantly - even when they themselves are running thin. 

I often feel ineffective as a caregiver because of all of my weakness, but my testimony of the constancy of my Savior has only deepened. He is the Ultimate Caregiver, and has given me divine help to serve beyond my capacities every time that I gone to him humbly, with weaknesses and all. And I also know that He sends other helpers to help us when we have reached the end of our rope. 

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ, and of the gospel which I have the priviledge of preaching - that He lives and His gospel is the way to peace in this life and eternal joy in the next. We have been asked to be the Hands of God until He comes again, and although it is challenging, I know of no other joy than to help one of my brothers or sisters feel Christ´s love. 

I hope each of you enjoy being together as family this week, and recognize that we wouldnt be celebrating this time of year if Christ hadnt been born. HE is the reason for the season, and only as we seek to come to Him by living His gospel will we be able to return to the presence of our Heavenly Father. (christmas.mormon.org)

I love you all - and Feliz Navidad!

Hna Arroyo






No comments:

Post a Comment