Monday, June 2, 2014

How deep is your scoop?

So to start off, let me just say that Heavenly Father sent a huge tender mercy last week! As Hermana Chipunavi and I were shopping in a store, Hermanas Purse and Hunter (from my district in the CCM) ran up like crazy women and we gave each other the biggest hugs! We became each other{s family away from family in the CCM, and so it was a ginormous blessing to catch up and strengthen each other. I found out that we experienced a lot of the same challenges in adjusting, and so it felt great to know that we{re not alone. Heavenly Father is so good! And it was also amazing to see each other{s growth in just a few weeks. It was hard to say goodbye again, but I hope to see them again really soon!

Also, last Prep Day Hermana and I decided to live our inner child's dream and experience this gigantic slide in Puno. Let's just say that I took out two kids, and earned 20 points. Hermana also earned 10! Luckily they were okay after, and we all just laughed until we couldn't breathe. Fun times in Puno!

As for the meat of this week, it so happened that our appointments with investigators fell through so Hermana and I met with a lot of our less active members. Hermana and I had some really personal visits with less active members, and I have felt a strong connection with every one of them. Our experiences have brought me to ponder my purpose here as a missionary. We are called to preach the gospel who do not yet know it, but the other aspect of our work is to reach out to those who have strayed. I have yet to decide which brings me more joy: teaching others the gospel for the first time or helping to remind others why they initial chose to follow Christ. In any case, this work is beautiful!

Also, we had a stake conference this weekend, so Pres and Hermana Harbertson travelled to give interviews and to speak. I love them both so much, and they are great examples. Pres was the translator for Hermana Harbertson during her talk because she doesnt know very much Spanish, and his love for her is so evident!

On another note, the whole of the conference was about having an expectant faith in Christ to bring about miracles. It made me think of in what ways I can improve my faith, and what goals I should set for myself. I came with the intention to recieve answers, and I recieved some about my life after my mission. I know it is early to be thinking this way, but I can{t help but consider the ways in which this mission will help me be a better daughter, sister, wife, and mom. And so now I have more of a glimpse into what Heavenly Father has in store for me. It has given me an extra boost for this week! And even more so, I have been pondering how big of a spiritual scoop I earn every Sunday.

The truth is, even missionaries experience trials and temptations because we{re also imperfect. I have come to realize this more especially between lessons with our investigators, because the adversary doesn{t want us to return to live in the presence of God after this life. And so, in what ways are we renewing our strength in order to overcome Satan? I have a testimony that our weekly partaking of the Sacrament is the way to spiritual strength, and that living the Gospel of Jesus Christ everyday after until the next Sunday is the way to endure to the end. This principle is true for everyone, and it is the plan of Heavenly Father for us to be stronger than the evil around us. I have also come to know that if you want to punch Satan in the face, then preach the gospel! 

Sorry this email is a bit scattered this week - or even just more so than normal. You all will be allowed to read my mission journal one day, because it has so much more details!

I love you all. Keep praying, reading the scriptures, and attending Church on Sundays. What more can you earn than the feeling of God's love for you and renewed strength and guidance in this life? This gospel is true!

Bueno fe! (because suerte is muerte.)

Hermana Arroyo

No comments:

Post a Comment