Monday, August 31, 2015

I am so sorry about not sending an email last week! I had it all typed up and ready to send out, but it got deleted at the end of the hour. :( I´ll try and make up for that this week.

Throughout my entire mission the Lord has showed me His love and concern for the elderly, and recently my companion and I have had more experiences that normal to help them!

We went to visit a retired Patriarch whose wife recently passed away. Brother Zeballos is deaf in one ear, so we couldnt share very much in the way of comfort, yet we did the best we could singing his favorite hymn, ´´How Great Thou Art´´. It surprised us how much that meant to him, because he started crying and thanking us for having given him the comfort that he needed. That was a really sweet experience, and I felt the Spirit testify that the Lord accepts the service we give to others as if we had given it to Him.

As Hna Salas and I were walking toward another appointment, we noticed a nicely dressed older gentleman that was hesitating to cross a super busy road. We both turned around, wondering if he needed help, and ran to him to find out what was the matter. Jorge, the old man, gladly accepted our help and he was trembling when we got to him! It made us feel to good to have acted on a prompting and to have helped him. 

We also were able to visit the grandma and grandpa of the ward, Gloria and Adán, who just celebrated 65 years as a couple. We arrived at their house just as their extended family arrived and it was amazing to see all of their kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids gather around them. They can no longer keep up with them, but it struck me the serenity on their faces as they enjoyed being with their huge posterity. I was able to talk with Adán about his testimony of the Book of Mormon, and it was powerful! He still keeps up with his scripture study and testified of the importance of taking the time to do it everyday. We were able to share Adán´s testimony later that day within a lesson, and it had a powerful effect on the person that we taught!


Oh, another update! 

We visited with Mercedes to talk about covenants and partaking of the sacrament worthily. The lesson was amazing because she is so humble and willing to accept the word of God. Long story short, she revealed to us that she had just separated from her boyfriend and that she is ready to talk to the bishop and put her life in order. I seriously had to stop myself from crying because not too long ago she opened up to us about the serious problems that they were having and all we could do as missionaries was teach her to apply gospel principles and seek the Lord´s will through prayer. She said that was exactly was she did, and that now she is at peace with her decision. I love the gospel! Not only because it fills my life with peace, but because it is the solution to any problem we may have!

This last week has also be GREAT! Hna Salas and I are striving to work even more with the members than before and it is amazing how much our numbers are improving. I know that numbers dont really matter, but I cant deny that they show our work. And we´ve had a number of new investigatores! We´ve really seen sooo many miracles.

Sorry, i´m out of time!

Hna Arroyo





No comments:

Post a Comment